When you hear the word “orthodontics,” chances are that the first thing that comes to your mind is traditional metal braces. Other, more discreet options are available, however, including clear braces and Invisalign. While the Invisalign system was once reserved for adults with minor orthodontic problems, advances have made the system a viable option for teens in many cases. Take a closer look!
What is Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen is an invisible orthodontic system that utilizes a series of clear, removable plastic trays to gradually shift teeth into their proper position. No wires, brackets, or metal of any kind are used with this type of orthodontics.
The Benefits of Invisalign Teen
Teens are extremely aware of their appearance, and most do not relish the idea of presenting a metallic smile to their peers. The invisible nature of Invisalign Teen offers patients an effective orthodontic treatment that does not compromise their self-image. Additional benefits are as follows:
- Removable trays allow teens to brush and floss normally, reducing the risk of tooth decay caused by difficulty in accessing all areas of the mouth.
- The ability to eat normally with the trays removed; there are no food restrictions.
- Fewer visits to the orthodontist than with traditional braces.
- No soft tissue discomfort because of metal wires and brackets rubbing against sensitive areas of the mouth.
- Trays change color when it is time to switch to the next tray.
While Invisalign Teen is specially designed for teens, it may not be the best treatment option in all cases. Patients who require extensive orthodontic treatment may still require more conventional methods. It is always best to speak with a skilled, trained orthodontist to find out which treatment option is right for you.
If you are interested in the Invisalign Teen system in San Francisco, or you are in need of other orthodontic attention, then contact Image Orthodontics. Visit our website or give us a call at (415) 752-0654 if you have any questions, or if you would like to schedule an appointment.